Thursday, May 21, 2009

She was actually talking to God...

So I was at our Vacation Bible School meeting last night at church...you know, that "give everyone their stuff, explain the overall theme and get some excitement going" meeting. It was a good meeting. We got our stuff...we went over the theme...and I think there was some excitement in the room. The highlight of the night for me, though, was something out of the ordinary. Actually, it wasn't out of the ordinary at all, but it hit me hard...like an epiphany or something. (I don't know if it was really an epiphany or not, but I think maybe it was the closest thing I've ever had to one.) It was the prayer...a simple opening prayer. Becky, our VBS coordinator (who is doing an awesome job, by the way), opened our meeting in prayer. In fact, she made the statement that we "are going to open this meeting the right way." Now, I've been to tons of meetings, and as a pastor, many of those meetings have started with prayer (usually my prayer). I don't always know if the motive is exactly right where it should be. I mean a prayer makes a nice opener for a lot of things. It's effective, because it quiets the crowd, focus attention to the front and works as a very fine transition point.

Here's the point though...forget all of that stuff. What hit me last night was that Becky was actually talking to God...and it was indeed the perfect, best way to start the meeting. I sat there as she prayed and the thoughts built in my head like a song rushing toward crescendo. "She is talking to God. Becky is actually talking to God. I mean right now, she is sitting in a metal chair in front of VBS volunteers and she is talking to the Creator God of the Universe." It was like I couldn't believe it. I know it to be the case. I've preached it as such in church services and taught it many classes. I've done it countless times myself. But last night, it just seemed so real in that moment...so perfect and special...like an incredible gift from an amazing God. She was actually talking to God.

When I got home last night, I settled into the nightly routine of kids to bed, clean up any left-over mess from the kids, check facebook, watch Sportscenter and...then I knew what I wanted to do more than anything. I wanted to talk to God...just like Becky did back at church. Just close my eyes and talk. It was awesome...one of the best prayer times I've ever had.

Becky, your prayer meant a lot to me last night...but here's the thing: I never caught a word of your prayer. I guess you weren't talking to me though, were you...you were actually talking to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment