Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I think you WANT me to be intolerant...

Our sign at the church currently reads, "Seek God and Turn From Your Wicked Ways." I've had several conversations and emails in regard to the offensive nature of said sign and how it is judgemental, intolerant and hypocritical. You would think that I had planted that sign firmly in the front yard of several people. The thing is, I bet tons of people have recently driven past our sign and made passing comments about it...while only a few felt the need to say something about it. What effect has it made on those few?

Intolerance
1. lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.
2. incapacity or indisposition to bear or endure: intolerance to heat.
3. abnormal sensitivity or allergy to a food, drug, etc.
4. an intolerant act.

It's believed medically that I am allergic or intolerant to gluten that is found in wheat and wheat products. It hurts my body and effects me negatively to consumme wheat products. However, aethism, agnosticism and skepticism does not hurt me. Just because I'm a pastor does not mean I am allergic to Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Muslims. I do not have my own version of a "spidey sense" where alarms go off whenever I'm in the company of sinners. In fact, let me make two points:

1. While I am not intolerant of people, I am intolerant of beliefs that are contrary to the Word of God as contained in the Bible. I'm not speaking about my opinion but about the truth of the Bible. I am a pastor who has devoted himself to the pages of Scripture, yet it amazes me when people are shocked that I stand for truth, justice, righteousness and the cause of Christ. If you want to talk intolerance, you have to point out that Jesus was the most intolerant of them all. He had the audacity to claim "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes unto the Father except by me." (John 14:6) Again in Mattew 7, Jesus described a narrow road and wide road. He indicated that the narrow road was the correct path which leads to life and that only a few will make such a decision. I must remain committed to the narrow road and the intolerant message of Jesus as the only way.
2. You should want me to be intolerant. What kind of pastor would be if I taught people to believe whatever they want and that as long as you believe something you're ok? Are we really foolish enough to believe that all belief is good belief. We're ok with 2+2=4. There is only one right answer. Yet when it comes to eternal matters, we are ok with you + "whatever you want to believe" = eternal life. We somehow think there are multiple answers to the most important question of all time. This is one area where I can't afford to be wrong, and the people who are influenced by my ministry don't want me to be wrong either. I think you want me to be intolerant and confident in what I believe. If I hesitate, give credit to other belief systems or don't speak up against false teaching then I weaken the message of the Bible in the eyes of the hearers.

Demon Hunter is a Christian metal band that has had a significant impact on my life. As I was thinking about a title for my blog site, I couldn't help but think through some of the DH songs that have influenced me the most. One such song is "Relentless Intolerance".

These eyes they will gaze and reflect
And gauge every thought I reject
No sway of stance in changing times
Just a narrow mind commanding respect
We stand on the words of the wise
And languish every call to despise
We know the hollow wound of their lies

(Pre-chorus:)
No reformed edition
Never losing vision
Now into forever
Only getting better
Ways of now, spiral down
How much more we allow

(Chorus:)
Keeping sight of the vow we made
Holding fast to the hope
So when we stand in the line of wrath
The true and righteous will know

The foundation that we used to uphold
Now regarded as the madness of old
Every alteration made to the standard of truth
Is a nail in the coffin we hold
We embody everything they despise
Because they see us through degenerate eyes
So when thay cast you down as intolerant filth
Stand firm, never bow to the lies

Now, I dont' expect every blog post to be this serious, but this is my first go at this and was simply a refelction of what was on my heart. I'm sure there will be lots to write about in the weeks, months and years ahead including the Steelers, autism, my family, church life, sermon ideas and much more.

3 comments:

  1. this is great.
    that is to say, as long as it doesn't completely sever us from the people we need to reach most. there's a bold line between intolerance of beliefs and intolerance of people and too many people flirt with that line. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^agreed.
    I think often times we water the gospel down too much. we don't want to offend people. A sign like that can serve as a necessary wake up call. kudos for not being afraid to post it.

    but I'm also tired of the you + "whatever you want to believe" = eternal life. I'm far from perfect, but I think it applies to how we view certain sins also. it's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete